Sheepadoodle is a wonderful cross-breed that takes the best traits of the Old English Sheepdog and the Standard Poodle. Like other cross breeds, it can inherit the best traits of both parent breeds. The name which alters “poodle” to “doodle” in reference to the Labradoodle was coined in 1992. First generation doodles tend to have added health benefits since they are the first in their line.
Poodles were originally bred in Germany as a hunting water fowl while Sheepdogs were intended to herd sheep. The Shepadoodle is a hybrid of this wonderful 2 breeds which results in a beautiful loving dog with an amazing temperament!
- Sheepadoodle is a designer dog, you can have a F1 which is a result from breeding apure breed Old English Sheepdog and pure breed Standard Poodle or an F1b which is a breed of a F1 Sheepadoodle and a pure breed Standard Poodle.
- Typical Sheepadoodle colors are black, black and white, or red and white (rare), you can also get a tri-colored white and black with some brown in it
- Sheepadoodles are very healthy.
- It is a very friendly breed.
- Sheepadoodles are very easy to train since they are very smart and very eager to please.
Appearence and Characteristics
The Sheepadoodle is a beautiful dog with a sturdy, solid builds, medium sized. With a broad square looking head and floppy ears hanging down. Beautiful brown eyes and some times blue. Most Sheepadoodles are Black and White with the classic patch eye or the “mask” look (patch on both eyes) some times white face (classic snow caped OES). Sheepadoodles have soft wavy coat
Sheepadoodles are typically medium to large dogs, with the smaller ones weight 45 to 55 pounds and the larger ones 70 to 80 pounds. The ideal Sheepdogdoodle is well proportioned, muscular, and strong. Their puppies have the best of both breeds, and they are nearly 100% hypoallergenic with long and soft coats that range anywhere from straight to curly.
- Breed Group: Working
- Lifespan: 12 to 15 years
- Height: 13 to 24 inches
- Weight: 60 to 80 Pounds
- Grooming Needs: Moderate to high
- Coat type: Wavy/curly, long, soft
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Barking: Rare
- Breed Type: Crossbreed
- Colors: Sheepdogdoodle mainly come in black or black and white. Often times, the black will fade to gray or gray and white, similar to the Old English Sheepdog. Occasionally, Sheepapoo are born with a lot of white, or almost all white.
- Size: Generally between 24 to 27 inches tall, between 45 to 55 pounds, approximately the same size as your average standard poodle